[Dixielandjazz] Mardi Gras' at Modern Jazz Festivals

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 5 22:31:46 PST 2003

List Mates:

Barbone Street has become a part of a Mardi Gras Night at the Berk's
Jazz Festival. (a 10 day Modern Jazz Festival). Last year with
Preservation Hall, and this year with Dirty Dozen.

It now looks as if we will be part of a annual (hopefully) Mardi Gras
night with the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival in Wilmington DE. starting
this year. Possibly with Preservation Hall. (Clifford Brown is a 3 to 7
day modern Jazz Festival depending upon funding)

We also play at the West Chester University Jazz Festival (week long
modern) for 8 years now. And the Rehoboth Jazz Festival (3 day modern).
And the Dover Wine and Jazz Festival (1 day modern). And the Turk's Head
Music Festival, and the Media Blues Walk and several Winery Jazz
Festival. etc.

What's the point? Just that all jazz festivals seem to be having
attendance problems. They seek new ideas, broader music horizons. So for
us hustling OKOM bandleaders, we might approach those "modern"
festivals, or "music" festivals, or "blues" festivals. Suggest a Mardi
Gras night, or a "Roots" band. It is working for Barbone Street at all
kinds of local Festivals. Why not for you?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone