[Dixielandjazz] Jazz or Ballad singers?

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Wed Feb 5 17:38:17 PST 2003

In a message dated 5/2/03 2:24:51 PM, patcooke at cox.net writes:

<< I haven't heard any on the list of Brit singers you mentioned, Jerry, so

I can't say about them. >>

Hi Pat,

As you have probably noticed I have been corrected over the national origin
of two of the young ladies I mentioned but a true Brit to watch in the future
is Clare Teal. Don't just take my word but let me quote from the review of
her latest album in this month's Jazz Journal International. "An
exceptionally good set from a singer who has risen from the pack to become a
front runner, and who must now be giving some of her fellow jazz singers some
pause for thought. Her approach to her interpretation of these songs, mostly
standards but with a few nice originals, is completely assured. Her vocal
sound is strong yet warm and she displays a wonderful grasp of the dynamic
needs of of the material.........have no doubts, teal is no pretender, she is
a real jazz singer. Anyone wanting a splendid and joyous musical experience
need do nothing more than buy this strongly recommended and very well
recorded CD." (Bruce Crowther)

I fully concur with these sentiments and understand that she has just
recorded a concert for BBC radio accompanied by the all-star John Dankworth
Big Band which will be aired in March sometime.

I am presenting Clare at my club venue at the end of May but with her regular
backing sextet which feautres Martin Litton (a super pianist) Trevor Whiting
on reeds and Nils Solberg on Guitar.

A real jazz singer on the way up!

Anyway Pat what have you got against ballad singers?

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.