[Dixielandjazz] pretty voices?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 5 00:12:29 PST 2003

Speaking of vocalist's voices . . .

How about the dulcet tones of (no need to start with Louis though he would
probably head the list):

Shel Silverstein
Bob Dylan
Rex Harrison (who used to speak the lyrics) - in "My Fair Lady"
Robert Preston (ditto) - in "Music Man"
Lefty Frizel (sp) (country singer who used to sing 5 notes for each note in
the tune.)
etc.

These people were not what you would call 'bel canto' vocalists but they
related to the audience and sold scads of recordings and garnered the
respect of thousands of fans!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps. It doesn't matter whether or not you personally liked or disliked the
voice. What does matter is that their voices have touched large segments of
our population.