[Dixielandjazz] Vocalists

John Petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 4 18:22:37 PST 2003

Jim said
>I can only imagine in making a statement like this that you really haven't listened to much Sinatra.  I always accepted that Sinatra was a great singer but only in recent years did I tune into what a true master he really is.  Neither Nelson Riddle nor anyone else turned Sinatra into a great jazz >performer.
A true master he really was, but can you guide me to an early recording , say in the James period where he is singing jazz.  I'm willing to be persuaded.

With Bing jazz was there right at the start, and it was like a breath of fresh air when you compare him to the dreadful Seger Ellis or Irving Kaufman. The earliest recording I've heard of Frank singing Jazz was I think from the mid 40s with a small group of jazzers. I don't have the disc.
Singing jazz does not have to involve scat, although it can. Sinatra in '50s was a great jazz performer, but to my ears he was a late developer.
cheers

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ