[Dixielandjazz] vocals

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Feb 4 11:06:43 PST 2003

Brian wrote:
>I wouldn't think it's an instrumentalists' thing or a jealousy thing

Ok, maybe I didn't cover this deeply enough.  In some cases, it IS a
pain to back a singer who completely ignores the band, or even directs
it...or blames it if things go wrong.  And, many musicians (I'm not
including myself here) just don't like a singer in the way.  I,
personally, enjoy backing a singer that forms part of the music, but do
not like having one on stage who just takes over the band.

>While an occasional vocal is ok, it's still the instruments that hold
the
>most interest.

Some songs cry out for the words, though.  Trouble In Mind, Angel Eyes,
Doctor Jazz, Ain't Misbehavin'.... to name a few, with no connection
whatsoever between them.  And, the general public likes to hear the
words to a song.  They recognize a song, many times, by the words rather
than the melody.

Anyway, I'm into the "heart" thing, and if a musician has it, that's
great.  If a singer has it, that's great.  Doesn't matter the instrument
(the voice being an instrument in its own right).

Jim