[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and major record labels

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Mon Feb 3 00:14:40 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/2/03 10:34:31 PM Central Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Lot's of bad information out there about Wynton Marsalis and Sony
> records. Note this article from Jon Garelick about Branford Marsalis and
> Columbia records, and starting his own label. Note also some parallels
> with other jazz musos who really got their start on "small" labels.
>
> Can't say for sure, but I suspect Wynton also wanted out from under Sony
> to go it on his own label also.

   Sony/Columbia records apparently put out a public statement that Wynton
Marsalis's flat record sales didn't match the fees that he was demanding.
They dumped him.

> Perhaps they are seeking ways to combat the big decline in overall
> record sales, regardless of musical genre and seek some form of control.
> Who can blame them? Wish it was me.
>
> Even Brubeck started with a "small" label. Check out "Arbors" for some
> solid OKOM. Forget Columbia and Sony, they'll just keep combining "Best
> of" particular artists and miss all the good stuff.

go to www.judikjazz.com      You can find some of my recordings there and
some that I did with Judi K.  Lots of great guys on these recordings.