[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ken Burns Jazz

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 2 12:35:54 PST 2003

Dear Fred,
I doubt that the Burns 'jazz' program had any impact on jazz record sales in Oz,
apart from the Burns' compilation itself, which seems to have sold out in the
shops.
On the other hand, these imports were probably only in the 100s, nationally.
A blip on the Australian CD sales curve.
On another tack.
Our record industry association has just conceded that the downturn in CD sales
here is probably unrelated to CD 'burning/copying' by rebellious teenagers.
Contrary to the US record industry's stand on the matter.
It is thought to be an economic thing, related to high CD retail prices.
Our mob even admitted (obliquely) that the current quality of the pop artists'
'music' may also be a factor.
But WE knew that already.
8>)
Kind regards,