[Dixielandjazz] RE: Blattant Commercial & Critics

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 16:07:15 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/31/03 11:36:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tmartino at terra.com.br writes:

> .  And usually, these "critics"  talk about what they never
> attempted to DO!   So go ahead, Steve with your beautiful work. The
> Arabs say:
>
> "the dogs bark, the caravan is going ahead"
>
> cheers
>
> Tito

And Confucius say "Man who live in glass house should not throw stones he
will break his own window and Freeze in the Dark."

In my not so humble opinion, "Most so called Purist Dixieland Players and
critics are such because that is indeed where they reached their level of musical
incompetence."  They closed the book of learning and never went beyond the
simplicity of this music to learn and adept other styles and forms of good music
to expand and attract a larger loyal audience for the music.

It has been said on this list many times before, that Dixieland music is easy
to learn and play, and the fact that there are so many bad Dixieland bands
around constantly complaining about how the music is dying and there is no place
to work are indeed proof of that.

These bands and musicians have given Dixieland such a bad name in the general
music world and especially in Jazz, that almost nobody wants to be called a
Dixieland Musician or Band.

Show me a Band that only plays Dixieland Music as purists and I'll show you a
Band always looking for a gig, with the rare exception of course of the few
Really Good ones out there who must suffer from lack of suitable employment
because of all the bad ones.

I heard a radio show last night of America's hottest Garage bands who made a
name for themselves in 2003.  It was for the most part pure organic waste
material for the sewer.

Perhaps if all of us who rehearse our bands in the garage, would open the
doors, we might get some neighborhood kids going by to stop and listen and, who
knows, maybe in 2004 a Dixieland Band might make the list of most famous Garage
bands.  Even the Worst Dixieland band I have ever heard sounded better than
anything on that radio show.

Price list for my CDs:

Consumers $12.00 each
Critics         $25.00 each plus $5.00 shipping and handling

If ya wanna complain and write bad about me ya gotta pay for it, there ain't
no Free lunch, and if you pay for it then your opinion is worth something,
even if it is incorrect, anyone who criticizes a recording he got without paying
for it or a show he went to see without paying for a ticket has no business
getting in free or getting free music collections.  That is not why the free
tickets and recordings are sent out, if you can't say anything good just keep you
opinions to yourself, anyone interested in the music and or the act is
capable of making up their own minds as to whether or not they like it.

My music has yet to be recalled by the Food and Drug Administration as
dangerous to the public, and no prescription is needed, although you do have to buy
it under the counter, :)

I heard Barbone Streets new live CD, and it sounds exactly like what he said
it was, a LIVE recording with all the energy and ambiance of such a party in a
party like (Not a Studio Recording) it is played the way jazz music in
particular is supposed to be played, with energy and presence of each individual
musician interjecting his ideas and feel into the music.  The band sounds like
they were having fun and enjoying playing great music for an enthusiastic
audience, what more could anyone ask for.

As for the Trumpet player and the Trombone player being categorized as Not
Dixieland Players, I say the critic who said it would not know a real Dixieland
musician if one walked up and kicked him in the arse, or wrapped his Trombone
slide around his neck.

A Good Musician is a good musician and should be able to adapt to playing any
kind of music and style that suits his individual taste, the most successful
ones have done exactly that.

 Barbone Street Jazz Band has managed to do that against all odds in trying
to become successful as a Dixieland Band in such a snippety back biting circuit
of elitist so-called aficionados of Jazz.  Gee no wonder they are not invited
to play on Dixieland Festivals all over the USA, God forbid we bring in a
reasonably paid successful band, who knows how to market themselves and knows
what they are worth as a business to any festival who markets and promotes them
properly.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins