[Dixielandjazz] The Melody Maker

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 06:32:40 PST 2003

A few remarks regarding the MM from "The Song for Me" -
THE MELODY MAKER
In January 1927 the Melody Maker in Britain published a review of "The Chant"
/ "Black Bottom Stomp" by Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers on HMV
B5164 which contained these imperishable remarks: A band of which I have not
hitherto heard called Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers is introduced to
us in "The Chant" and Black-bottom Stomp", both hot Charleston numbers. No one
can say that the musicians are not wonderful performers. Nevertheless, we are
treated to an exhibition of blues and jazz, not as it is today, but as it was
six years ago. The fact that this is about the best record to have come
across for Charleston dancing, owing to the hot rhythm behind it, certainly does
excuse the fact that it is crude in organization and poor amusement to listen
to." Although the MM employed a number of recognised authorities on dance music
it always retained a somewhat blinkered attitude to jazz as we know it. To a
certain extent it can be excused as a British publication thousands of miles
away from its source material, and without the technological advantages in
communication of today. In the late-1940s there was a unfavourable review of a
classic King Oliver Creoles release (I think it was "Mabel's Dream" / "Riverside
Blues") that echoed the vacuous nonsense their 1927 effusion regarding JRM. The
Melody Maker, founded in the mid-1920s, finally folded in December after
later years of limping behind its upstart rival from the mid-1950s, the New
Musical Express. At its height the MM sold around a quarter of a million copies
weekly and far eclipsed the then Musical Express. Although the MM was principally
aimed at dance band musicians and their followers it did provide the only
regular service for jazz enthusiasts with gig listings and record reviews however
flawed. When the ME was relaunched as the NME , aimed at the growing youth
market with purchasing power and a taste for rock and roll, the decline of the MM
became one of the longest death rattles in history.