[Dixielandjazz] "If ever I cease to love"

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Dec 24 16:01:50 PST 2003

you can learn ANYTHING on the internet ;-)

http://www.rexorganization.com/traditions.htm

The Rex Anthem

The official anthem of Rex is "If Ever I Cease to Love", a hit song of
the early 1870's era from a musical comedy named "Bluebeard". The
musical's leading lady, Lydia Thompson, was performing in New Orleans
at the time of the first Rex parade. The visiting Grand Duke Alexis of
Russia, who had seen "Bluebeard" during his national tour, was also
familiar with the song and with Thompson, to whom he had once sent a
gift bracelet.

Bands in the first Rex parade serenaded the Grand Duke Alexis with the
Russian national anthem as they marched past City Hall. When Rex,
having dismounted at the Henry Clay statue on Canal Street, reviewed
the parade, the bands played "If Ever I Cease To Love". Today, this
song is played when Rex enters his Grand Ball and after the meeting of
the Rex and Comus courts Mardi Gras night, signaling the end of the
Mardi Gras celebration.

Dave Richoux