[Dixielandjazz] Something for Annie

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Tue Dec 23 17:32:08 PST 2003

I've got a two-album set called "Turk Murphy's San Franciso Jazz" (Good
Time Jazz L-12026 and L-12027). Vol 2 contains a song called "Minstrels
of Annie Street" (written by Turk) about which the liner notes say:

"Recorded originally in 1946 by Turk with Lu Watters' Yerba Buena Jazz
Band. A San Francisco columnist once labeled the YBJB "the minstrels of
Annie Street," for Annie Street, just behind the Palace Hotel, off Market
Street, was the address of the famous Dawn Club, cradle of San Fracisco
jazz, and the scene  of the YBJB's pre-war triumphs."

If this is the same "Annie," then the answers your questions are that her
full name was Annie Street, and she drove the band to the Dawn Club in
her British sports car ;)

Hope this helps.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz