[Dixielandjazz] The real reason Dixieland Festivals are failing as you know them.

WILLIAM HORTON WILLIAMHORTON at peoplepc.com
Sun Dec 21 23:25:49 PST 2003

Dear Tom
Bear with me because your post was so long and it requires a number of
corrections, beginning with the title.  The Pismo Mardi Gras is "failing"
not for the reasons you imply, but simply because of the lack of business
acumen of the town business association.  Despite the fact that the Mardi
Gras has brought a ton of money to Pismo Beach for 24 years, and has always
close to broke even financially, these hick town "buinessmen" are abandoning
their sponsorship of it.  The Basin Street Regulars club (BSR) has a agreed
to put on the Mardi Gras in 2004, just so the Mardi Gras can celebrate its
25th anniversary.  The BSR has put on the Jubilee By The Sea in Pismo for 26
years, every one sold-out, very successful financially, no paid help, and
WITHOUT COMMERCIAL SPONSORS, which must be some sort of record for jazz
festivals!