[Dixielandjazz] RE: Ascona Festival

Alberto Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Sat Dec 20 05:43:09 PST 2003

Dave Richoux remarked:
<<<If you don't believe Steve, go to http://www.jazzascona.com
 and look at
the list of bands and musicians - a great mix of well established OKOM
bands that have been playing the US Festival circuits for years along
with a whole bunch of bands you probably never heard of but have to be
doing something right to play in this kind of a festival.

As their program says: The concerts range from traditional New Orleans
to Chicago-style jazz, from swing to mainstream, including ragtime,
gospel, blues, and R&B.

as for location, I sure wouldn't mind a gig in on the Swiss/Italian
border region... beats Sacramento by a long shot!>>>

Actually, I played with my former Swiss Band, the Bogalusa New Orleans
Jazzband, for two times at this wonderful place and Fest, and was there
1989 we where spotted by George H. Buck himself who invited us to record
GHB-230 "Let's have a Good Time". I recommend to all  bandleaders to
burn your asses in order to get playing sometime at this first prize
Festival. Great bands, great location, great memories... Louis Nelson,
Chester Zardis, Sammy Rimmington, great guys...  wow, this is OKOM!

Tito Martino
Sao Paulo Brazil