[Dixielandjazz] Weird Gigs

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Wed Dec 17 14:55:32 PST 2003

About 15 years ago, in Hollywood, I got a hurry up quick call for a band for a
birthday party in a private residence in the Hollywood hills.  The birthday was
for a sheikh or some sort of potentate.  The audience was all male.

We assembled and began playing in the home and about 1/2 hour later some
handsome muscular "Chippendale" type guys show up who change into G strings.
They proceed to dance.  We adjusted our music to some "bump and grind" tempos to
accommodate their show. They then began disappearing into back rooms from time
to time.

When we packed up after the gig, one of the muscle guys came over to me and said
something like "We're not gay, this is just business".

Russ Guarino