[Dixielandjazz] Weird Gigs

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Wed Dec 17 13:39:42 PST 2003

Being located in Des Moines, Iowa my band has had the opportunity to play
for almost every presidential candidate at one time or another over the past
20 years.  Iowa hosts the first in the nation caucus and other major
political events leading up to the primary and general election.

One time we were a featured band at the Iowa Straw Poll event held at Hilton
Coliseum in Ames.  Every candidate was there and was given strict
instructions to limit their speech to not more than five minutes to keep the
show on time.

There was a main podium from where the candidates spoke, and my band was
located on a lower platform (a few steps down from the main platform) just
to stage right of the podium.

Bob Dole gave his speech and as he approached the five minute mark it was
obvious that he was not going to finish in time.  At six minutes, the floor
director was giving him the cutoff sign, which he ignored.  Then they shut
his mic off mid sentence.

When this happened, he walked over to the platform my band was playing on
and grabbed one of the front line mics and started talking again.  At that
point, the band got a cue to start playing, which we did.

Dole finally got the hint and left the podium.  The thousands in attendance
went nuts.