[Dixielandjazz] Victoria Jazz Festival/was declining festivalattendance

Jeanne Brei TinPanAlleyCat at cox.net
Wed Dec 17 01:21:14 PST 2003

Hey Len,
   As a festival goer, I went up to Victoria the last year the Black Dogs
played there (I went to every festival that Steve Yocum and the Dogs played
that year -- from Clearwater, Florida to Victoria, British Columbia to their
final spot at the Orange County festival) -- and I can attest that it was
and hopefully will be in the future again -- a fabulous festival!
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go back after that first time --
not because I didn't want to -- but because my income took a sharp dip after
9/11 and the economy has been very sluggish in recouperating -- perhaps the
lack of disposable income has kept many U.S. citizens home -- I'm certainly
not afraid to travel, I just don't have the funds to go far...
    The best part about Victoria's festival -- in addition to it's
absolutely gorgeous surroundings -- was the extraordinary young swing
dancers that were there -- more guys who were great dancers than girls!
Swing dancing heaven for me! And the bands were GREAT! I love the variety --
and they certainly appreciate swing and show bands up there...
Jeanne Brei
Tin Pan Alley Cat Entertainment
(702) 254-3832 / jeannebrei at cox.net
http://hometown.aol.com/jmbrei/myhomepage/resume.html
http://www.viewnews.com/2002/VIEW-Jun-28-Fri-2002/Summerlin/19044673.html

P.S. I'm glad to hear that everybody who is on the board are volunteers --
it's sort of disheartening to read in the Sacramento paper that the
Sacramento Trad Jazz Society spends $40,000 a month ALL YEAR LONG in
expenses! Someone said that their president is on a large salary with a
large office staff and a car and many other benefits -- no wonder the best
festival in the country is having such difficulty -- you can't spend more
than you take in!