[Dixielandjazz] NY's celebrations

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Dec 16 08:17:03 PST 2003

Aye, and a guid Hogmany tae y'sel.
Some of my fellow Yanks not blessed with Scots blood may wonder what
"Hogmany" is. I explain it as "Trick or Treat" for grown ups...instead of
going door to door to beg for candy, the canny Scots go about begging for a
drink to celebrate the New Years with. My paternal line has doing this for
years -- though some of us have extended it way past the Jan. 1 calendar
mark. A wee dram o' the usquebaugh is a grand way to start the New Year off
for a' o' that.
So, to Norrie and all, a Happy Hogmany, and
Slainte!
Don Ingle