[Dixielandjazz] Your Weirdest Gig

Mike Marois MikeMarois at HireLiveMusicians.com
Mon Dec 15 19:13:06 PST 2003

As a tuba player who plays all forms of jazz from ragtime to bop I take
offense to the exclusion of banjos and tubas to the jam session.

Anyway my weirdest gig occurred back on fathers day 1990.  Once again a
Mickey gig call time was 8am at the Dolphin Resort in Orlando.  This was the
weekend that the flick "Dick Tracy" opened and all of the stars of the film
were in Orlando for a big press thing.  Well Saturday night late we got a
call from Talent booking for a trio to go up to Dustin Hoffman's suite and
jam tunes with him sitting in on the 9 foot grand that was in the suite.
Well we showed up and met in a room across the hall from the suite where we
were greeted by the big Eisner himself pacing back and forth hoping the
group was going to show up.  He was very appreciative of us making it on
such short notice and of course reminded us that we'd be "On-Stage" (A
Disney phase meaning that you were in the public's eye, so you'd better obey
the Disney commandments of on stage etiquette).  After some management dweeb
ran down to the gift shop and brought back 3 cabana boy shirts, we changed
into them and went across the hall to Dustin's suite.  When we got into the
suite we took our positions near the piano and immediately Dustin's wife
offered us coffee, donuts, and told us to make ourselves at home.  Right
there that was three etiquette strikes, so we all looked at Eisner for the
OK which he gave us immediately.  So we're on the gig chowing down, drinking
coffee, and talking with Dustin and his wife, when we finally realize "WE
SHOULD BE PLAYING MUSIC"!  We ended up playing 4 or 5 tunes with Dustin
sitting in on piano, he did quite well.

After the gig is when it go weird.  We rode all the way down from the top of
the resort to the lobby with Eisner in the elevator and he didn't say two
words to us.  That made the group fell like a bunch of cheap Dixieland
whores.  It was that event that drove home the phase whoring yourself out
for a gig.

Mike "and I don't mean Eisner" Marois