[Dixielandjazz] Your Weirdest Gig

jazzfact jazzfact at ozemail.com.au
Tue Dec 16 07:30:13 PST 2003

Hi All,

I was asked a few months a go to do a "set" at a "Giants of Jazz" concert
with 90 year old Australian piano player Graeme Bell. The gig was last
Sunday week.  Unfortunately the show was mainly not OKOM and the musical
director obviously not a fan either. The set turned into 2 songs, Graeme
played beautifully and has not lost a bit of his wit, Bob Barnard, Len
Barnard, Paul Williams, Ed Wilson, John Withers and I swung our way through
the two numbers chosen then were invited to stay for the rest of the day.
The footnote on the running sheet said all players would be presented as
they mounted the stage at the end for a jam session EXCEPT BANJO AND TUBA
Lucky for us we didn't dig what they did to music so we could leave early.
Fee/ about $1 a bar! (2 beat = 50 cents a note, but I put in a few extra
notes as a bonus!)
PS I was not listed as a "Giant", but an "others including"

regards,
Richard Stevens
www.thejazzfactory.net

---