[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Years Eve"

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 15 17:07:00 PST 2003

Yes, but my point was that that musicians the world over, work on New Years Day, a Holiday, whether or not the gig starts on the Eve or as in
Spain at 1:30 AM. I was not talking about the manner in which folks celebrate, but whether or not the musos deserved extra pay for working
during the celebration.

Though I must admit, last New Year's Eve, we gigged at a retirement facility which had the New Year Countdown at 11 PM. Then the toast, last
dance and off to bed by 11:15 PM. Technically we did not play during the "Holiday", but we still got "Holiday Pay".

Bottom line: Supply and Demand. Classic unfettered economics. Can't argue with that in a free economic system, no matter how hard one tries.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone