[Dixielandjazz] Re: Saddam Hussein captured

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 10:06:13 PST 2003

<<The DJML is composed of 100s of (dixieland) jazz-loving individuals from
around the world, not all of whom share the same views regarding
international and regional politics, religion, sex, race, gender and the
like.
For that reason our 'rules' require that non-jazz subjects and beliefs
(however passionate) be kept off our list.>>

They don't agree on jazz or whether or not washboards and banjos are musical
instruments either.

Doesn't seem to stop 'em from talking 'bout it.

BTW, sex is also a very common topic 'round here.

I also remember a thread regarding gender and women in jazz.

Our friend in Isreal often posts topics that are related to politics and
religion and how they affect his gigs.

I remember posts about blacks founding jazz.

Seems the only time when someone spouts up about something being "off topic"
is when they don't agree with it.

If I compiled a list of posts that were not specifically jazz related, it
would spin your heads.

This particular topic was HUGE news to the world as a whole, and should be
given a bit of slack. I mean, it's not as though we were talking about
California's governor's race.

And it's not as though we're going into any great lengths to discuss it. Fact
is, it was a simple announcement to alert this group of loosely related folks
about some news affecting the world in which we all live.

Had it not been for the people complaining about it being off-topic, it would
probably have remaing just that . . . instead, some of you chose to turn it
into a full-blown thread.

Lighten up . . . relax . . . we'll get back to washboards, banjos, and who
played the first note of jazz on the planet.

Musical Content: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Bill