[Dixielandjazz] New Years Rates in Perspective

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 09:58:23 PST 2003

Hello all,

I don't think it's unreasonable for bands to up their fee in high demand
times (New Years - Saturday Nights etc.), as long as they are providing the
same quality show.  That's simple economics and most industries operate like
that.  For instance, I had my house painted in October last year and it cost
me 40% less than it would've had I hired the same company in April or May.
BTW, have you noticed the price of beef lately?  Apparently the nationwide
low-carb diet craze is driving the price up (short supply), so because more
people hire bands on New Years, it's only logical and fair that the prices
are higher.

Just to put market value in perspective, I read today that Miguel Tejada, a
baseball shortstop, has just signed a 6 year, 74 million dollar guaranteed
contract with the Baltimore Orioles (and they're happy to pay it).  74
million dollars for 6 summers worth of playing baseball.  I don't doubt that
this one guy is making more money than the entire GNP of OKOM over the past
3 or 4 (or 5) decades!

I wonder if it's too late for me to learn to catch a fly ball.

All the best,
Rob McCallum