[Dixielandjazz] Changing the Subject line.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 14 20:47:09 PST 2003

I've got a great idea that would help the mentally challenged computer
operators like me who sometimes neglect to change the subject line when
replying to a post on the list.

When we hit reply, the DJML automatically puts: "[Dixielandjazz] Re:
Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol #, Issue # " into the subject line. Since I am
dumb, forgetful and I didn't ask my computer to do that, I am prone to
forget erasing that "automatic" subject line. I do edit the message box.
Even more frustrating, that "subject" is not really a subject, it is the
description of Digest to which we are responding.

Others do it also, but probably to a lesser extent. And it may depend
upon software, browser, etc. I'm on a Mac, with a Netscape browser.

Rather than get an automatically incorrect subject line in the first
place, why not change the DJML program to leave the subject line blank?
Then dummies like me would be reminded by our computers that there was
"no subject" and be asked to add one. Not only that, but why must we
humans be ruled by a machine that adds an incorrect subject line in the
first place?

Cheers,
Steve (for user friendly programming) Barbone