[Dixielandjazz] Music for the gay trade

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:48:17 PST 2003

Hey Bill, hold your horses!!! All I meant was simply that, generally
speaking, a tune is a tune is a tune and ditto a performance is either good
or bad, the sexual preferences of the composer or performer usually have
little or nothing to do with it. And as to the "gutter press" I refer to
those publications in the UK and elsewhere (whatever their political
orientation) who splash across their front pages details of the private and
sexual lives of celebrities and others, whilst paying little attention to
the news or real issues of the day. And I guess there may be many totally
honest, selfless and 100% scrupulous politicians out there, but in general
the record indicates otherwise (him who hath eyes, let him see). Also, I
think you are mixing up sex and sexuality.....I'm all for sex (hooray!!) but
believe people's sexual preferences should be a private matter - as long as
they keep them in the private domain: as the Duke of Wellington said on the
subject, "I don't care what they do, as long as they don't do it in the
street and frighten the horses".  And lastly I'm all for both free speech
and dirty jazz and was mildly amused by some of the gay strand (and some of
the PC reactions to it!), I just got a bit irritated by a book I recently
read which spends several hundred pages debating whether Duke Ellington (not
Wellington!) had a gay relationship with Billy Strayhorn: well, in the
spirit of 'down and dirty', who really gives a s**t? So please don't turn a
simple plea to keep the focus on the music into an attack on freedom of
speech and democracy!

Fraternally from across the pond,

Mike.