[Dixielandjazz] Re: Music For The Gay Trade

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 9 14:43:01 PST 2003

> "Norman Vickers" <nvickers1 at cox.net> wrote
>
> to: DJML Listmates
> This burning question of the day to Steve Barbone and other Philadelphia
> denizens-- does the advertising budget include OKOM?  If not, what kind of
> music is most appropriate for the gay trade?
>  This from USA TODAY Monday December 8.
>
> Cities come out about wooing gays — and their dollars
> By Deborah Sharp, USA TODAY
>
> In Philadelphia, where the $300,000-per-year campaign to boost gay tourism
> has generated media coverage, officials say positive response has outweighed
> negative. Most of the money for the campaign comes from the area's hotel
> taxes. Meryl Levitz, president of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing
> Corp., says she received flowers and telephone calls from gays thrilled by
> the inclusion.
>
> "Philadelphia stands for liberty and justice for all. We welcome everybody,"
> Levitz says.
>
> Greater Philadelphia's annual $5 million advertising budget includes
> significant amounts for other niche travelers, such as $600,000 a year to
> draw African-Americans. When ads targeting black visitors began in 1997,
> they represented only 14% of 11 million visitors a year. By 2000, the share
> had jumped to 25%.

Hi Norm:

Christmas music is appropriate. Especially "Adestes Fidelis", or "Deck The Halls With Boughs of Holly" which includes the immortal line:

"Do we now our Gay Apparel, Fa La La, Fa La La, La La La." ;-)

Hey, what kind of a question is that from a guy whose email address is:

"Cox.net"?

Isn't that an implement for a "fisher of men?" ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone