[Dixielandjazz] What kind of music for the gay trade?

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 13:10:44 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/9/03 7:13:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
nvickers1 at cox.net writes:

> to: DJML Listmates
> This burning question of the day to Steve Barbone and other Philadelphia
> denizens-- does the advertising budget include OKOM?  If not, what kind of
> music is most appropriate for the gay trade?

Hi Norm:   Some rambling thoughts that will get me flamed for sure, :)

GOOD MUSIC of any kind is appropriate for the Gay Trade Norm, they are people
who simply march (or make love to a different drummer) but they have
basically the same musical likes and dislikes as all of the rest of us.  I have played
and booked bands into many Gay nightclubs and found them to be the most
supportive of music on a consistent basis than any other group of consumers.

The gay communities have kept the dwindling Cabaret business alive much like
we do OKOM, and a lot of cabaret music is also Jazz and OKOM.

A simple fact of life is that the Gay communities have a lot more spendable
income since most of them are not burdened with the financial support of
raising children.

The appropriate style of music for the gay community is simply the same kind
that is appropriate for any other community, they come in all shapes sizes and
opinions politically, sexually, religiously, just like heterosexuals, and
those sworn to abstinence.

They travel a great deal, stay in hotels, eat at restaurants, go to
nightclubs and theaters, opera, symphonies, Discotechs, beaches, movies, just like
everyone else does.

They like Love songs, boogie shake your ass songs, hard rock, punk rock,
Dixieland, Jazz, Blues, pop, Broadway show tunes as well.  Just like we do.

They also like and participate in Glamour, Fashion, Television, Movies,
Motorcycle riding, hang gliding, Football (YES EVEN FOOTBALL) Rugby, and many other
sports.  They also charter ships and go on cruises spending many, many
tourist dollars all over the world.

The San Fancisco Gay Pride Parade attracts over 750,000 people to San
Francisco for a weekend and generates a lot of cash for all the business in the City,
not to mention all the airfares, rental cars, hotel rooms, etc.

Money is Green, and spends, no matter who the spender sleeps with or does or
does not have sex with, and Philadelphia is on the right track economically to
reach out to try and attract this fist full of dollars into their economy, as
would be any other city, Money makes the World go round.

Gays have been around in civilized and I suppose uncivilized societies for
centuries that has been documented, so we may as well get over it and accept
them as regular everyday people who simply are attracted to each other rather
than us.

I have heard tell that one out of three men are Gay, if you want to check out
this theory step into an elevator with two other guys, look at the one on
your right, Does He look Straight? Now look at the one on your Left, does he look
Straight? huummm!   :)

Musical content:
Gays have "Fidgety Feet too" and like to dance, so I guess they should not go
to Jazz concerts and distract the listener only crowd.

I have heard and played in a parade alongside an all Gay marching band in San
Francisco that played some OKOM music, so I guess some punk rockers who say
Dixieland music is Gay could be correct, :)   All I know is most of it makes me
Happy!  :)

Tom  (Not Gay, just very Happy) Wiggins  :)
Live and Let Live