[Dixielandjazz] Re: STJS

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 10:02:59 PST 2003

> "Bob Ringwald" <ringwald at calweb.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> As you may have heard, STJS is in real financial trouble.
>
> Please go to
>
> http://www.ringwald.com/election

There is good reason for members of Jazz Societies all over the world to heed the
example of Sacramento Trad Jazz Society. They went from a half million dollar
surplus to a quarter million dollar deficit in just a few years.

Until recently, nobody knew about it except the few insider board members who were
responsible for it. And they certainly weren't telling. They were too busy holding
up STJS as a model for similar groups throughout the USA and basking in the
sunlight of pseudo success.

It behooves us all to request from those Jazz Societies of which we are members, a
financial statement at the end of each operating year.

If the board of directors refuses, or the statements look suspect, throw the bums
out. Jazz has enough problems these days without the "non profit" groups becoming
"loss" groups. All that does is cheapen the value of the "art" and lower the
pefromance fees of jazz musicians.

Well meaning or not, when Jazz Society Boards tell us that jazz and profits don't
mix, so we need to support the art, because "Festivals cannot make money", beware.

My personal experience in 2003 belies that notion. Barbone Street performed at 8
Jazz and/or Music Festivals within 100 miles of Philadelphia. ALL are highly
profitable for the Cities than ran them, profitable for the producers, profitable
for the venues and profitable for the musicians.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone