[Dixielandjazz] My favorite blues lyric

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 07:01:17 PST 2003

Hi David and all,

And you wrote:

>Actually, I think the credit on that one has to go to Martin Mull (And His
>Fabulous Furniture) - those lyrics (slightly different last line but the
>same joke) were part of the "Ukelele Blues" that he recorded in 1973.
>
>Not only an writer, comedian, actor and musician - he also paints some very
>interesting  oil paintings! I met him at a book signing a long time ago and
>asked which of his talents was most important to him, as I recall he said
>the painting was most satisfying...

As a matter of fact, I just sent a private message off to Tom Wiggins
explaining that I had heard it (the blues parody) done by Martin Mull.  I
didn't remember the exact lyrics but I did remember the joke and that's what
I wrote. As I recall, Mull did it with a "bottle neck" guitar joke wherein
he used his old baby bottle and a ukulele.

The Martin Mull joke was, I think, done on a funny television show he did
called "(something) Tonight" - a sort of talk show from some small
midwestern town that was a parody of talk shows and it made me really laugh.
  I deemed it a work of genius.

Do you know what the show was actually called and do you know if it's
available on DVD?

Cheers,

Bill "Mull's the man!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com