[Dixielandjazz] Jazz--Art--John Cage

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Thu Dec 4 04:09:26 PST 2003

Very interesting comments regarding the injection of musical "Dada-ism"
such as 4'33"  into the world of art.

I'm a bit Neanderhal, and I shed my youthful adventurism something over
50 years ago.  To my mind, these attempts by avant-garde "composers" to
fashion chaos into a musical language are fostered by their inabllity to
confront creativity in an established form.  Thus, we have such things
as "free form" and modal jazz, and, God forbid, other things as the
youthful Ozzy Osborne biting the head off of a bat as part of a
so-called musical performance.

I could go on expounding and raving, but then I'd be joining in the very
thing I'm criticizing.

Regards,  Harold Smith