[Dixielandjazz] On the absence of almost everything

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Dec 1 21:52:53 PST 2003

The radio station I work at (volunteer, actually) has been getting all
sorts of "new music" from all over the world in the last 20 years or
so, mostly from very independent and innovative people. We add about 20
new recordings each week and most are nowhere near what you might call
OKOM (but we do get some traditional flavored additions.) A  common
thread among a lot of the submissions is the deliberate absence of
combinations of what we think is essential in music: structures of
melody, rhythm, or harmony.

Some people think this would result in a jumbled mess of nonsensical
noise (and sometimes that would be true) but  sometimes there is
actually something that "works," even to my more traditionally trained
ears. I am not saying that everybody has to like everything that could
be called music in one form or another but it is sort of like a Jackson
Pollack painting - there is something much deeper than what first meets
the eye or ear in art and music - enjoy it or don't !

20th Century Western music moved quickly from Ragtime to Jazz Age &
Blues to Swing to Popular to Folk to Rock to Punk to Whatever (often
blending of many of those roots)   while the "modern classical" has
dabbled in Music Concrete and other unusual experiments while still
playing the now antique "Masters" - who knows what the 21st Century
will sound like after another 100 years? I sure don't, but it will be
interesting :-)

Dave Richoux