[Dixielandjazz] Who was Mabel?

PJ Ladd pj.ladd at btopenworld.com
Mon Dec 1 20:29:12 PST 2003

"What's on the table, Mabel?" -

Hi John,what an interesting bit of useless knowledge. Perhaps you can also
remember a game played by the band, and the audience, during a radio
programme at that time, or a bit earlier.
It was called `Penny on the Drum` and involved someone, probably the
pianist, beginning to pick out a melody line.
The rest of the band would then join in as individuals  recognised the tune.
Anyone who thought they recognised it  but were wrong threw a penny on to a
bass drum. (Sound effect) If no one recognised the tune the whole band
contributed. The money went to some charity. I remember being amazed at the
rapidity at which members of the band picked up the tune, and the key.

I think it was the same show which featured a word association game which
invariably finished with the words `Here we are back to Miss Hay again`

Anyone know what the shows name was?. I would love to chase up a recording.

Cheers

Pat