[Dixielandjazz] Re: West Coast Revival Style

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 28 09:49:11 PDT 2003

Dear Steve,
Regarding your comment: >I have never heard a current band live or on record that plays in his style.<
Meaning post-World War II?
Then you have never heard the early recordings by Claude Luter Et Ses Lorientais, prior to the Vogue recordings and the
influence of Sidney Bechet on Luter.
The Luter band style (pre-Bechet) was pure 'Oliver CJB' and owed nothing to the 'Watters' sound.
As a young bloke, I used to play my 'Swing' 78 of "Pimlico" to local collectors as an unknown 'Oliver'.
And convinced a few people!
Try and track down the 1947-49 78s for the French Swing, Pacific, Blue Star, Selmer companies and the UK Nixa label.
Some of these sides came out on the Rampart, Circle and Summit in the US.
There is a 1989 now-deleted French Jazz Time CD of the Swing sides and some sides on a Citanes 'Jazz In Paris' CD.
I have most (but not all) of these.
There are probably other French reissue CDs (I hope), but they rarely export their stuff.
Maybe Jazz Jerry can help.
Then again, maybe none of this counts, as this was not a US band.
(Naughty)    8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.