[Dixielandjazz] Re: 2 beat ; 4 beat

Texasjazzlover rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Tue Aug 26 13:24:14 PDT 2003

Then came the West Coast Revivalists and 2/4. . . sigh. ;-)

So we have an aging population of Revivalist Fans who were convinced that
2/4 is the
original stuff. By bands that changed the style, rather than reviving it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

I have been listening to music by King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band recordings
1926-28 and there is both 2/4 and 4/4... but mostly 2/4 which has the same
feel as the "West Coast Revival" bands.
Granted, he had left New Orleans by then, but the majority of the songs seem
to be 2 beat.  Perhaps it is because it is easier to dance to??

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX