[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 8, Issue 36

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Aug 25 13:31:09 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/25/03 8:56:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> And as I hear it, the beginning was 4/4 New Orleans time as applied to
> ragtime tunes.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Nope, you guys have all missed the mark entirely:

Jazz was invented by Burger King, (not to be confused  in any way with King
Oliver),
"HAVE IT YOUR WAY"

Jazz is playing any song anyway you want to play it, total musical freedom,
make it swing or don't make it swing, that is not to say that it is still not
Jazz to somebody's ears.

It should not be difficult to understand if we remember that many of us hear
music differently than others , and some folks listening to exactly the same
recordings talk about them as if they were two different recordings.

I have heard guys trying to play Jazz charts that they think are really hip,
but the sound they produce would not swing on a ROPE, because either the
charts were stymied by the arranger, or the players just could not put any feeling
into the music.  Both situations cause awful Jazz, but then again they may be
the guys who think Jazz just does not have to swing to be Jazz, just boring
mundane compositions to show of brilliant technique.

Cheers,

Tom (Bad Ear)  Wiggins