[Dixielandjazz] "Verve Remixed" album

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Aug 24 16:32:47 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I was driving home from a gig at the California State Fair last night
and as I tuned my car radio I found the Sacramento public radio jazz
station KXJZ - the program was called "Acid Jazz" (and it was not
anything at all like "Smooth Jazz" - more like what modern groups such
as "Soul Live" are doing - a driving yet danceable modern bass and drum
beat groove and interesting instrumental solos, usually with a Hammond
B-3 organ in there somewhere.)

Anyway, the DJ played a track from a recent album called
"Verve//Remixed" and it featured a vocal by Dinah Washington that was
taken from her recording of "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby" and
mixed into this sort of groove thing. I didn't know exactly what to
think about this - it was sort of OK, I guess, but I am sure the Mouldy
Figs will be rolling their eyes and ears...

you can check out this trendy thing at
http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist.aspx?aid=4558 - Dinah is not the
only jazz master that has been "re-groovifyed"

also, for KXJZ: http://www.csus.edu/npr/programmenu.html#

Dave Richoux