[Dixielandjazz] Re: 1st Jazz recording?

Anton Crouch a.crouch at unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 24 17:50:50 PDT 2003

Hello all

Rob McCallum raises an interesting issue with his claim that the Ciro's
Coon Club Orchestra London recordings of 1916 are the first jazz
recordings. He also opens a can of worms because, if the Ciro's records are
jazz, it's open slather all the way back to 1897 to find earlier examples.

First, I agree with me ole mate Bill Haesler that these Ciro's records are
not jazz. They are ragtime-influenced banjo performances of popular tunes.
They are syncopated, but they don't swing and I can't hear any blues
influence.

Steve Barbone's reference to James R Europe is most interesting. A lot of
Europe's early (pre 1917) work dances along very nicely but, to me, it
lacks that spark that we call jazz.

The BIG issue is "what is that spark"? Its absence or presence can be
demonstrated by comparing, for example, Europe's March 1919 recording of
"Darktown strutters ball" with the ODJB's May 1917 (sorry Steve) version.
Another, even clearer, example is the difference between the performances
of "High society" by Prince's Band (May 1911) and King Oliver (June 1923).

all the best
Anton