[Dixielandjazz] Bob Lefsetz articles relevant to OKOM

lswain at penrose.com lswain at penrose.com
Fri Aug 22 17:25:04 PDT 2003

Tom Wiggins wrote:

> so how come their ain't no musicians playing on
> airplanes???

While what I have to say is off the point Tom was making, the phrase
triggered a memory of air travel in the '60s, when 747s were first
put in service.

I flew frequently then from the East coast to the West coast, on
business.  Those first planes on at least one airline had a lounge
area at the rear of the passenger compartment, and the lounge was
furnished with an electric piano.

Often a stewardess would sit at the keyboard and pick out "Twinkle,
Twinkle" or something else as dull.  So I would find my way back to
the lounge and sit and play old sing-along tunes. This would
invariably prompt the stewards/esses to go to first class and bring
back free drinks for the piano-player. It was a nice way to spend a
few hours of otherwise boring time.

Only major annoyance was that whenever the captain made an
announcement he would kill the power to the keyboard during the time
he spoke.

Those were the days!

Larry Swain

L. R. Swain

Penrose, Inc.
Professional Real Estate and other Web presence creation
http://www.Penrose.com
617 571 7885