[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 8, Issue 34

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Fri Aug 22 16:11:38 PDT 2003

> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Death of OKOM?

I think we get so fixated upon OKOM that we forget we're really part of a
much larger moving stream which includes all forms of jazz and popular styles of
music, and perhaps even some classical ones too. In the bigger view, I am more
worried about where so-called "popular" music is going than I am about any of
the well established niches--including OKOM. The pop area is what feeds the
future options and it's a dessert right now. My daughter listens to rap and
whatever you wish to call the weird outpouring of sounds by the money people
backing pop promotion. It sounds less and less like any kind of music to me, or am
I being too fussy to ask for something besides rhythm and chant-like sounds.
If you feel bad about OKOM's prospects (and you shouldn't) read The Future Of
Jazz, a collection of essays by noted authorities and performers including Ted
Gioia. They don't have a clue as to where it's going. Maybe John Cage was
right. Any sound is really music.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink