[Dixielandjazz] Rufus Harley - Unusual Instrument Redux

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 16 13:19:28 PDT 2003

List Mates:

A while back someone wrote about jazz bagpiper Rufus Harley from
Philadelphia. Here is the latest information about him.

He is indeed alive, well and playing jazz bagpipes in the City of
Brotherly Love. I saw him and talked with him a week or so ago downtown.
We both showed up for a photo shoot of Philadelphia area jazz
musicians/singers similar to the famous "Day In Harlem" photo in NYC in
the 1950s.

Rufus was attired in his buffalo head headdress complete with horns, and
a set of kilts with an American flag motif. He brought the pipes along
and played "When The Saints Go Marchin' In" while we waited to get
positioned for the photo. He said he is gigging here and there and
staying alive. Mostly along the Philadelphia waterfront parks.

BTW, about 200 jazz musos showed up to be photographed. For those who
keep such statistics, about 90% black and/or hispanic, 10 % white. About
5% OKOM players and 95% other jazz forms. There were some notable
absences also, like local legends, jazz guitarist Pat Martino and
Saxophonist Bootsie Barnes.

All in all, it was fun to see 200 jazz musicians/singers in Philadelphia
and realize that there were probably at least 50 more who didn't make
it. Probably because they are "part time" jazz players who didn't feel
qualified. But then, aren't we all really part timers?

The shoot was organized by Warren Oree, leader/bassist for the Arpeggio
Jazz Ensemble in Philadelphia. He even got the mayor to attend and give
a short speech about how it was time Philadelphia recognized one of its
premier resources, the jazz musicians. It all made the newspapers and
the TV stations.

YEA, Warren, good job on getting some recognition for jazz by the City,
the Mayor and the Press. And for organizing the shoot. And for making
Philadelphia's first Jazz Festival this September a reality. And for
creating gigs for other jazz bands/musos.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. Anybody got Jim Beebe's email address? I'd like to write him off
list.