[Dixielandjazz] Uniting Dixieland - Was Gospel, Blues, Jazz in that order.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 12:06:43 PDT 2003

Tom Wiggins wrote about Martin's Scorsese's "BLUES" being presented on
PBS with Volkswagen as the sponsor. He asks if we could unite and do the
same for OKOM?

Well, we could. Just like Ken Burn's "Jazz" I can see it now, the day
after all segments of "OKOM" air. We would have hundreds of people
commenting:

1) that their particular favorite band and/or musician was not
mentioned.

2) that the black roots were slighted.
3) that the white roots were slighted.
4) that OKOM was not properly defined.
5) that it was too relative when the truth is rigidly evident.
6) that Swing is not OKOM.
7) that they didn't present it correctly.
8) that beads have npo place in OKOM.
9) that artistic OKOM needs to be preserved.
10) that there is no such thing as artistic OKOM
11) that they didn't follow the "rules".
12) that the moderator sucks.
13) that there was too much visual, not enough music.
14) that we knew all that stuff anyway.

etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum. From "informed" critics rather than doers.

Who would want to sponsor that? ;-)

Cheers,
Steve

PS. It is a great idea if only we could all get behind it and leave our
personal preferences out of it. Like considering the genre first, and
not our own biased views about it.