[Dixielandjazz] Talking vs. Listening (was State of Jazz)

Margaret Squires margeaux at inreach.com
Thu Aug 7 20:20:27 PDT 2003

I agree with Ron L.  It depends upon the venue.

When I spend my hard earned money to attend the few festivals I can afford
to attend (usually only one or two a year), where some of the performing
bands are not local bands but ones I get to hear a couple of times a year, I
want to hear the band.  I don't want to hear people constantly talking.

HOWEVER....I am the music director for the Modesto Dixieland Jazz Society.
We meet in a hotel bar.  It is a dance/social, not a concert.  There is a
lot of talking, laughing, and dancing going on.  (There better be!  If not,
it means I booked the wrong band and I'm in trouble!)

So Art,  if you and your relatives wish to talk while the music is going on,
come on down to Modesto on the 3rd Sunday of the month.  I think we have the
best music venue in the area, as far as jazz clubs are concerned.  And our
club members are among the friendliest you will ever meet.  Bring your axe.
It might be the first time a washtub bass has graced our stage!

Margaret