[Dixielandjazz] Future of Dixieland - Redux

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 7 13:06:13 PDT 2003

Gee Whiz. Here we were bemoaning a declining audience for Dixieland only
to find that in Toronto Canada, there are FOUR, count em, FOUR Dixieland
bands that have weekly dates, at the same time every Saturday Afternoon.

Could it be that our US OKOM audience has fled to Canada ;-)

And if you check the Potomac River Jazz Club web site, you will find
numerous OKOM bands performing there in clubs. parks and other venues on
a regular basis.

What's up with that? ;-)

Yes Virginia, there is a parallel universe, in addition to OKOM Jazz
Festivals, where this music is played to fans of all ages on a
continuing basis, by bands that work regular paying gigs in venues where
the people are.

Cheers,
Steve