[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rain Enhances Music at Satchmo Summerfest

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Wed Aug 6 10:25:28 PDT 2003

  Texasjazzlover rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net Wrote regarding
amplification:

 > > There were rain showers every day during the Summerfest.  The one on
> Saturday turned out to be a downpour and the sound technicians scrambled
> cover all the speakers, mikes, etc.  It happened just as Duke Heitger
> started his set and got one song off before the rain came.  When it
stopped,
> Connie Jones asked Duke if he would continue without the aid of
> amplification.  He agreed and the crowd LOVED it.  They couldn't bring the
> sound back on for the rest of the performances, so Banu continued without
> the aid of mikes.

(Snip)

> There were comments from EVERYONE in the crowd that they liked the music
> much better without all the amplification.

(Snip)

 Bob Ringwald adds:

How many times have you seen a band get held up from starting on time
because of the mikes?  If they would have played without the amplification,
they would have sounded much better.

How many times have you been offended by feedback ruining a really great
solo or by a mic cutting out, doing the same thing?

When will musicians learn how much better a band sounds without all that
amplification?

Sure, in a large venue, you need some amplification but for gawd sakes,
forget all that stuff in a small room.  Musicians have forgotten how to play
with dynamics and fans have forgotten how to listen.

At a Sacramento Jazz Jubilee a few years ago, I talked the director, Roger
Krum, into having an all acoustic venue.  It was a really nice room with
good acoustics.  Bands sounded great there without mikes.

He could not get enough bands to agree to play without mikes, to keep the
room going.  What a shame!

Bob (Turn that damn thing off) Ringwald
Placerville, CA
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com