[Dixielandjazz] NY Times Jazz Review

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 4 20:27:39 PDT 2003

Tom said

>Mr. Vaché got off some powerful high-register playing,
and Mr. Harper had the sense to made his own kind of ruckus without
ransacking Krupa's bag of tricks. But it was all merely amiable, where
>the originals are giddy with power.

.Yep:  Back to our original thoughts about  many of today's OKOM players:

No Fire in the Belly,  these guys are not having fun, they are being
>technicians.

I can't speak for the guys on that concert but I do know that doing the BG
small group repertoire does require fire in the belly unless it is to be
merely elevator music. I did a BG tribute cd a couple of years back (there
are sound clips on my web site) but we avoided the copy note for note
approach and the clarinet player (Trevor Whiting) does not sound like
Goodman and Nick Dawson, the pianist does not copy Teddy.
>From the drumming point of view, stylistically what Krupa did was suited to
that line up, so I played a lot of press rolls rim shots etc and 2 or 4 beat
bass drum so that the feel of the pre-be bop rhythm section was maintained.
We certainly put a lot of energy into the recording and it came out sounding
different to the BG trio. We had some good reviews too.
I also did a session with Kenny Davern in BG small group format and that
kicks because Kenny is a fiery player - but he does not sound like BG. He is
his own man. I have also heard recordings with him where the rhythm sections
have been too polite. Not so on a trio set he did with Art Hodes and Don
DeMichael some years back. That really caught fire
I do hear a lot of so called swing or mainstream jazz over here that is so
polite and blue blazer that I wonder if the performers have heard the early
stuff at all.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com