[Dixielandjazz] RE: School Assembly Programs - Expanding OKOM

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Sun Aug 3 19:47:07 PDT 2003

Dear List Mates

More or less according the lines suggested by Lornetta Hooks and Steve
Barbone, (see bellow) I also try to expand OKOM to the young here in Sao
Paulo, and last Saturday morning I did with my Tito Martino Jazz Band a
Workshop at a local High School.

The performance was directed to ca. 200 TEACHERS (mainly female) of many
different schools, and to 60/70 parents and some young students. The
main purpose was to show the analogies relating the regular performance
of a Jazz Band and the ideal performance of a Working Group made of
students, or teachers, or any mixed group, seeking for some definite
objective within an established time-line.

I developed this workshop (involving my Band and some slides to be
projected) almost 6 years ago, under commission of Price-Waterhouse; it
was basically directed to groups of executives working tasks inside
their enterprises and/or companies; but was easily adapted to High
School working groups.

The analogies are all exemplified with a live performance of traditional
Jazz tunes; and the connecting key-words are;

-COMPLEMENTARITY (each instrument complements others, as it should be
with members of any working group)
-COMMUNICATION (internally WITHIN the group AND with public)
-DIRECTED IMPROVISATION (individual innovation with a goal)
-CREATIVITY (collective improvisation within the defined strategic
objectives)
-OBJECTIVITY (staying aware of the chose style of the playing and never
doodle with superfluous notes)
-FLEXIBILITY (adaptation to the demands of market/public)
-RESPONSIVENESS (change instantly a melody according to particular mood
or public reactions, etc.)
-TOLERANCE (respect to the limitations of your working partners)
-LEARN TO WORK IN A TEAM (accept the rules, style, uniform, group
objectives, and be ready to help partners).
The result when all goes well should be a SINERGY leading to the goals
and to the quantified objectives of the working group (or JAZZ BAND!)

All this was demonstrated with good natured musical examples and some
jokes, leaving the public literally MAD with the thesis AND with the
music (OKOM for sure!).
Standing applause at the end, sold more than 30 CDs, others pending, got
many cards from teachers inviting me to do the same for the kids in
their school, kisses from the ladies of the directing board of the High
School, public plug to my weekly gig at Bar Brahma, etc.

And all this was very well paid because the High School (at my
instances) got sponsoring from a wealthy Bank.

Is Dixieland dying in Brazil?  ;-)

Love you all,

Tito Martino
cl, as, ss
Sao Paulo Brazil
<<<<<<<<<From: LORNETTA HOOKS < >
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003
I would suggest:  1.  Contact the music teachers and classroom teachers
in the schools that you hope to perform in.  Find out what types of
accademic themes and info. .....(snip).... Lornetta Hooks  Music
educator and advocate>>>>>>>>>>

On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 03:44  PM, Charlie Hooks wrote:

> Any advice you want to give him?
> Charlie

> <<<<<<<<From: Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] School Assembly Programs
>
> Dear List mates;
>
> I am in the final stages of successfully completing a contract signing
with several local school districts to bring a jazz music appreciation
assembly program to kids at the grammar school level in the Philadelphia
Metro Area. >>>>>>>>>>>>>