[Dixielandjazz] Tune requests - was public service announcement

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 3 15:20:01 PDT 2003

Kurt  <bowermastergroup at qwest.net> wrote:
(About Dick Broadie's hated tune list)

"These songs may not have anything to do with OKOM, but anyone who has
ever led a band will enjoy reading the post."

Amen to that brother Kurt. All of us who field requests have lots of
stories to tell about certain tunes requested of a Dixieland Band, that
are not really adaptable. Personally, I got a kick out of Dick's post.

And last night, we had a fan request "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" because
he "heard Louis Armstrong do it" in the past. The guy and his wife had
seen us Friday night, and then came back Saturday night with a group of
friends to see us again. At a jazz club charging a $10 cover.

We never played it as a Dixieland Band, but 4 out of the 6 of us had
played it with other bands so we decided to do it. Picked Eb, gave it a
sexy lilt, got the crowd dancing and it turned out to be a neat song and
easily adaptable to Dixieland. Our view, try it, if it works great, if
not, try something else.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone