[Dixielandjazz] public service announcement

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Aug 3 15:33:45 PDT 2003

Some of the song put-downs are a tad snooty but they're mostly true, and
all are hilarious.

A couple of musicians' rejoinders:

"Yeah, most of us can do that tune, but (pointing) the bassist (or other
player) gets lost every time."

Request to a trio for a godawful tune: "We can't play that without a trombone."

Also, the er, elderly among us will remember when you couldn't get out of a
spot job alive without playing "Blue Moon" and "Stardust." Beats "Proud
Mary," but it did get tedious. A bop trumpeter I once worked with dealt
with this by playing the three-note Billy Butterfield pickup then working
the changes brilliantly in a cascade of complex phrases. Great fun for the
band, but wrong time and place. The dancers weren't amused.

Charles Suhor