[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 8, Issue 1

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Fri Aug 1 16:50:04 PDT 2003

Don,

I appreciate you comments.  I will continue to do what I can to promote this
wonderful artform.  In fact I am still on a high from a concert I produced
last night here in Des Moines, Iowa.

I brought in The New Wolverine Jazz Orchestra (from Sydney, Australia via
the Bix Festival) and they left the crowd of more than 250 trad jazz fans
wanting more.  The majority of the audience was in the senior category, but
I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a few younger people there as well.
At one point, I saw two young ladies (early 20's) purchasing $15 tickets.  I
went up and said I was curious as to what it was that attracted them to
attend the concert.  They said they saw an ad and thought it looked like
fun.

I think us promoters of traditional / dixieland jazz concerts need to do a
better job of projecting an image in the media that attracts younger
audiences.  Great music and a fun time seem to be two big selling points.