[Dixielandjazz] Birthdays

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Apr 21 19:51:13 PDT 2003

>>   "... whoever has the birthday brings a cake..."

>Jim, My memory of living in Spain: the birthday person buys all the
drinks!!!

That's right!  Some people keep their Birthdays a secret just for that
reason, I think.
Same thing goes for when you have a baby.  I announced the birth of my
twin boys (now 22 yrs. ago!) to a studio full of brass players once, and
was expected to buy everyone TWO drinks!!  I had hoped to get by with
the U.S. custom of passing out cigars.  Well, everyone took a
cigar....then put their drinks on my tab!    :>

Jim