[Dixielandjazz] What to play?

texasjazzlover texasjazzlover at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 18:10:49 PDT 2003

Dan,
I think you have to consider that you have all types
in your audience just as a preacher would if he were
talking to a congregation.  He might have VISITORS who
know nothing about what he is preaching, or some who
come only once or twice a year, or the faithful few.
There has to be SOMETHING for everyone.

I have noticed that there is a very small percentage
of people at festivals that really "get it" when
something special is happening on stage.  It does not
necessarily have to be a solo, it might be the
interplay that is a once in a lifetime thing.  BUT
SOME OF US DO!

I would think that it is up to the musician(s) to
create the best he/she can EVERYTIME.  Be sure to
include some songs in your list that most people have
heard at one time or another ("Way Down Upon the
Swanie River", etc.) but even those oldies should have
some "meat" for the Moldy Figs!

Regards

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX